Sunday, June 7, 2009

I'm Sweatin' Youssou N'Dour

I'm embarrassed. Saturday night was the first time seeing Youssou N'Dour perform. I knew him by name, knew he was famous, knew he was widely respected, and that he played in Brooklyn and/or NYC often. I also knew that I would, one day, check him out. That was it.

I caught his show at BAM (along with the other 2,100+ fans) and it was AMAZING! I'm officially sweatin' him now!! Before the show, the organizers screened the upcoming documentary: "I BRING WHAT I LOVE." It chronicles him recording and touring his GRAMMY award-winning album, "Egypt" (2004). Watch the trailer at www.ibringwhatilove.com. If you're new to him like I am, the film will prove to be very insightful.

After the show, I went straight to the gift shop. Bought the "Egypt" CD and a tee-shirt. It's beautiful.

Learn more at www.youssou.com and www.ibringwhatilove.com

ars.
ps - The CD features traditional musicians playing in Dakar (Senegal) & in Cario (Egypt). As alluded to at the show: "Youssou N'Dour in USA (Brooklyn) and Obama's speech in Cario...what a great weekend for Islam!"

No comments: